Keeping up with Instagram is like running a race with an ever-moving finish line. In typical technology fashion, Instagram is always advancing; trying to be at the front of the pack with the newest, coolest thing in social media. Lucky for you, I’ve compiled a list of updates so you know what’s up and trending on this popular platform.
You can now invite up to 3 people to join your Live (known as Rooms) which can be 4 hours long. Instagram is hoping the increase of Live participants will cultivate creative ideas like starting a talk show, hosting a sing-off or allowing multiple experts to provide insights during a tutorial.
In an effort to support creators, IG announced that Live viewers have the ability to show their favorite creators some love by purchasing a badge. They can also use interactive features like Shopping and Live Fundraisers.
Here’s how you create a Live Room:
- Open your Instagram account
- Swipe left and tap the Live camera option
- Add a title and tap the Rooms icon to add your guests
- Search for guests to add or let in the people who have requested to go live with you
You may have received a prompt about connecting your Messenger App to Instagram. Well, I’d love to know your thoughts on IG rolling out cross-app communication with Facebook. I personally, like to keep my FB and IG messages on their designated platform as combining them makes me feel unorganized. What are your thoughts?
Restoring Deleted Content
Instagram just rolled out Recently Deleted, and if you didn’t already guess it, you can now restore recently deleted content. Stories, however, will be deleted after 24 hours in this folder but everything else will be automatically deleted after 30 days. Here’s how you do it:
- Go to ‘Settings’
- Navigate to ‘Account’
- Click the ‘Recently Deleted’ folder
- Restore or permanently delete posts
IG’s professional dashboard is available to all Creator and Business Accounts. This dashboard can help you:
- Track performance: discover insights and trends based on your account’s performance
- Grow your business: easily access tools you use to run your account more efficiently, discover new tools to help you build your business, and check monetization status and eligibility
- Stay informed: learn how to make the most of Instagram through curated educational resources including tips, tricks, guidance, and inspiration
Hidden Like Count
You may have noticed in early March, some accounts showed one liker’s name and others instead of the number of likes their post received. This was a test where Instagram discovered the concept of hiding the like count was controversial. They are looking to make this an option for users through Settings in the future. Stay tuned…
All social platforms steal ideas from each other. 🤫 Instagram is notorious for this. Think Stories like Snapchat’s and Reels like Tiktok’s short-form video content, etc. To add to the TikTok-feel, IG is developing a vertical feed to display stories. We’ll see if it actually comes to fruition!
If you have a public account, you may be receiving a disgusting amount of spam messages. I get a lot of foreign brands asking me to be an ambassador with the typical message reading, “Hey babe! We love your feed. 💞 Send @charlesqualityfitness a DM. They want to work what you!”
Though there’s no way to knock these messages out completely, there is a filter you can put in place to get rid of a few. First, go to Settings → Privacy → Comments → then, Manual Filter where you can plug in ‘DM,’ ‘babe,’ etc.
Did you know you can edit your boomerang? You can trim your boomerang and apply the following effects:
- SlowMo: slowed to half their original speed
- Echo: creates a slow, double vision effect
- Duo: makes video look glitchy and futuristic with a flash of horizontal lines before it loops
Uff da! That was a lot of info….but if you want more, here are some 2020 updates you may have missed.